Built in 1907, Kalamazoo’s Public Safety Station 5 remained active as a fire house and public safety office until the early 1990s. Today, the station is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and deemed a historic resource by the Historic Preservation and Historic District Commissions. As part of a community development funded by Federal Community Development and Irving S. Gilmore Foundation grants, the City of Kalamazoo partnered with Kalleward Group to rehabilitate and repurpose the vacant station. The building will now serve as a neighborhood resource center, hosting after-school and summer camp activities by Kalamazoo’s Parks and Recreation Department.
Kalleward Group provided needed upgrades to the station’s interior and exterior while maintaining the building’s historical character. The upgrades included re-placing and strengthening the station’s gabled roof, repointing masonry, refurbishing stucco and half-timbered walls, installing a new HVAC system, upgrading plumbing and mechanical systems, and refining interior finishes.