The Kalamazoo Institute of Arts was founded in 1924 to stimulate the appreciation and creation of art. But, for 23 years after its organization, the KIA lacked a permanent home. In 1947, the KIA purchased and renovated an old building along South Street in downtown Kalamazoo. Capacity was quickly reached, and the KIA decided to break ground on a 45,000 square foot museum. In 1997, KIA sought to expand again and renovate its existing facility. Kalleward Group served as construction manager for this 72,000 square foot expansion and renovation. The project included the construction of permanent collection galleries, a two-story lobby and atrium, a Community Cultural Center auditorium, a gallery shop, art classrooms and studios, a centrally located library, and an interactive children’s gallery, as well as remodeling to existing galleries, offices, classrooms, storage rooms, courtyards, and common space. Construction was completed with high-end finishes and the placement of new artwork, including the Ruby Light Chandelier by Dale Chihuly.